High Octane Racing Club

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The High Octane Racing Club (HORC) is here to give you some of the most action packed and very close racing, that online racing games can give you.

+4
WWR Basher
AAA Mad Monk
MAGiC turbo
PLOW Champion
8 posters

Future or Qualifying?

Poll

What's your thoughts?

[ 8 ]
    Future or Qualifying? Bar_left50%Future or Qualifying? Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 8 ]
    Future or Qualifying? Bar_left50%Future or Qualifying? Bar_right [50%] 

Total Votes: 16
    PLOW Champion
    PLOW Champion
    Admin

Future or Qualifying? Empty Future or Qualifying?

Post by PLOW Champion Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:20 am

Right ladies!

Just want to see what people think, i have been think of making qualifying a bit more realistic by doing it by time. It works really well and seeing what you guys think.

Last edited by PLOW Champion on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    MAGiC turbo

Future or Qualifying? Empty Re: Future or Qualifying?

Post by MAGiC turbo Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:48 am

I voted for 6 laps - although I like the idea of time-based session as its more like real world racing, there are a few problems that could occur with it:

- Difficult to run a time-based session with a roll-off delay as you end up with some people getting an extra lap in than others which is a bit unfair - and even if you don't have a roll off, there's a chance that someone starting further down could just miss the start of their final lap compared to someone starting further up the grid.

- It's also more difficult for the lobby captains to run, as we can't use Forza 3's built-in timed race function as once 10 minutes is up it will go straight to the results screen, which doesn't give us time to stop and write down the results. So each lobby captain would have to manually keep an eye on the clock and tell everyone to stop after 10 minutes - difficult when you are on your own flying laps, and also you won't know for sure if someone has crossed the start/finish line before or after the 10 minutes is up.

- Have a set time for each race will mean that at some races you may get 10 flying laps (1m laps), wheras at Bugatti or somewhere like that you may struggle to get 4 flying laps in.

I like the idea, but I can just see a lot of problems with implementing it!
    PLOW Champion
    PLOW Champion
    Admin

Post by PLOW Champion Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:39 pm

yh i see were your coming from, but if you are in F1 people leave to go out for qauly sometimes a lap behind.

The time would be changed, say if we did suzuka west were it is 1.25.000's a lap so it would be 15 minutes long and say we had Iberian full were it is 56.000 then this would be a 10 minute qauly season.

were as if we left it at 10 minutes for all tracks and we did iberian we would get 9-10 laps and say we did suzuka we would get 6-7 laps which is still as much and maybe more than what we get at the moment.
    MAGiC turbo

Post by MAGiC turbo Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Still think its wouldn't work very well for the lobby captains, cos we can't know for sure if someone has crossed the start/finish line at 10 mins etc so it just seems fairer to me to give everyone the same number of laps like we do at the moment!
    PLOW Champion
    PLOW Champion
    Admin

Post by PLOW Champion Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:46 pm

MAGiC turbo wrote:Still think its wouldn't work very well for the lobby captains, cos we can't know for sure if someone has crossed the start/finish line at 10 mins etc so it just seems fairer to me to give everyone the same number of laps like we do at the moment!

Well say it was set to 12 minutes qauly then you would have 10 minutes to get your time down then the lobby captian has the last two minutes to collect them. So when the timer gets to 10 minutes then everyone is aloud to finish the lap they on this then allows everyone to have the same amount of laps on the track.
    AAA Mad Monk
    AAA Mad Monk

Post by AAA Mad Monk Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:43 pm

it's certainly easier to run with laps and i reckon it's a better system. But something about the time ticking down and desperately trying to work out if you can make it really makes me love the time system Very Happy
    WWR Basher
    WWR Basher

Post by WWR Basher Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:26 am

I think in theory a Timed Session is the answer but in practice would be difficult to manage as a lobby host, there's simply no guarantee entrants that are 3 tenths up on a lap would pull up and record a slower time, so i think laps is the answer.

If you want to give nervous drivers a better chance of setting a faster hot lap then increase the laps to 10, 1 clean out lap, 8 hot laps and pull up on completion of the 9th lap - record the times and complete lap 10 to close the lobby?

I'm comfortable with it the way it is, we are all getting used to it and as mentioned previously on this subject, it does sharpen you up, encourages concentration and rewards those drivers that can simply handle the pressure better than others.

The lobbies are competitive due to us all racing the same or at least very similar caliber of driver - i vote to keep it that way.

Personally if i managed a lobby A time in qualifying but knew i was consistently running 3 - 5 tenths off that time in race conditions then i would not enjoy the race as much because i'd be holding cars up and potentially putting them at risk. I'd much rather post a true reflection of my skill level and race with others that had done the same.

Future or Qualifying? Sigwwr
    MAGiC turbo

Post by MAGiC turbo Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:59 am

I agree Nige, that's exactly what I feel - I'd like it if it was a time-based session, but when taking into account the limitations of the game and the ease of running the lobby for the captains, I think the laps method is a better solution that we can guarantee is run fairly for everyone in every lobby. Adding a few more laps is a good idea, 7 flying laps perhaps?
    PLOW tubbi

Post by PLOW tubbi Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:44 pm

This is a conversation that we should have had when starting the HORC site and the seat SCups ash, the dye has been cast and its what everyone now accepts as normal.

I too voted for the time option but its just too difficult to run.

Lets not get into the mucking around that made TORA a bunch of Cr*p.

They have lost nearly all of their members by the way.
    WWR Nitrous

Post by WWR Nitrous Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:38 am

it does sound good but i think the lobby host would be more worried about making sure everyone stops at a certain time, getting times down an correct before time runs out. Their laps would then possibly suffer because of not concentrating on the laps they run. maybe just extend the qualy to 8 laps for a 1 min track an 10-12 for a 1.40+ time.
    marksutton4
    marksutton4

Post by marksutton4 Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:14 am

sounds like a good idea apart from the potential problems already pointed out.....i`ll vote for the 6 lap formula as it has worked very well thus far
    PLOW Champion
    PLOW Champion
    Admin

Post by PLOW Champion Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:26 am

well i cant see the problems, you will still get the same amount of laps and you will get same amount of time to collect all the times in. All that will be different is it being more realistic.
    tehcon2k9
    tehcon2k9

Post by tehcon2k9 Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:22 am

definate minutes it's a much more professional system and will be alot better as people can judge when they want to go and this will therefore be better but i can see as some people may think it's unfair.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content